Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Warning: This Mama is mad

I am kicking, screaming and throwing a major fit. Well not really, I'm trying to resemble some type of calm and sane mother. But I'm putting my foot down. Today at tumbling class, there is a list of 12.... count them 12 different Mary Kay cosmetics and color choices required for recital. Black eye liner, gold eye shadow, black mascara. chocolate rum for lip liner, passion gold for lip color and a certain color for blush and lip gloss. That's not even 12, but I'm so frustrated!!!!!! THIS IS FOR A 5 YEAR OLD! Who is just in tumbling and does cartwheels at the speed of light.

When we signed her up....no mention was made for recital until they wanted a large fee for the privilege. Partly out of principle.... I said no. I can see her do cartwheels in my living room daily for free. Ed helped me see how this is an achievement for Leah, lots of fun, a great way to learn poise and confidence.... ect. I finally agreed and paid the fees. Then instead of black leotard, tan tights and $50 black shoes...they decide pink leopard leotards would be pretty.... for $35 - thank you very much. That doesn't include the pink hair bow (and she still needs the $50 shoes), which this cheap mama isn't buying until I'm sure I'll know her correct size in June.

So today, I'm flabbergasted that 5 YEAR OLDS NEED MAKEUP. At least blush, lipstick, eye liner and mascara they said, as the stage lights are bright. Yada, Yada. I refuse!! Since day one....many people have commented that Leah will never need mascara as her lashes are so long and curly. Maybe a little lip gloss. I must have made a scene..... hopefully a professional calm impression. Anyway we aren't home for 10 minutes, when they call and said they spoke to another mother of dark skinned girls who suggested pink eye shadow, red blusher and red lipstick. All I can think of is conjunctivitis!!

Ed just shakes his head at me, but I will not do it all! I may make a compromise for my daughters sake, but I WILL NOT turn my daughter into a clown, or worse. I am so scared if this starts at 5....we'll be headed something down this road.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I am with you! My girls love make-up and they are allowed to have play make-up but they never leave the house with it on.
Did you happen to see the segment on the Today show today that talked about child beauty pageants? There was a little girl on there who was so done up it made me sick! She had the false eye lashes and even had fake teeth on! YUCK!! Little girls are beautiful just because they are, no "enhancement" needed.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you too, Patty! Don't do it.

Anonymous said...

I took dance classes for 5 years when I was little. Some of our costumes were about the price you are paying and some got close to $100 (and that was almost 20 years ago). That is one of the many reasons that I did not pursue dance any longer than I did. So I guess I am trying to say is that it may seem like a lot of $ but it could be worse.
-Your sister-in-law