Sunday, December 14, 2008

Traditions


Traditions start one year at a time. For years - I have wanted to have a tradition of taking a / my little girl to a Nutcracker Ballet. The yearning started with my almost 15 year old niece. However, it just never happened, and then Luke was born. Luke just isn't the type of boy that could appreciate the culture of dance and ballet. Finally, I had my daughter. Now she is 5 and into all things girly and dance. Her gymnastics class is with a dance studio that put on a community performance. Leah has been excited for weeks. We invited aunt C and cousin J, and then we had a wonderful surprise visit from long time Des Moines friends, so C and T came as well. All day long, Leah was so sure it was time to leave and she sat spellbound until she quickly realized this performance differed from Barbie's movie version, and even the Mikhail Baryshnikov's version that she loves. Her disappointment did not last long! This was live and we knew some of the dancers and I had such JOY watching my girl's eyes sparkle with fascination at what the dancers could do, the costumes, the music and the THRILL! Hopefully, a new tradition has started!

No comments: