Sunday, September 7, 2008

Kitty Mommy has a heavy heart

Wonderful weekend with a mission festival at our church. Good food, Good friends and Good Messages. We are praying for a couple who are spending their vicarage in Latvia. Oh my!!!! May God Bless them!

I have another prayer on my heart. Checkers is 15 years old (June 26, 1993). Yes, I know her birthday and I knew her parents (Little Lady and Oscar). She was born on my parents farm and my mom handpicked her for me just before she died. She was our first "kid" and is the most affectionate of all of my "kids". She's my baby. This spring she started slowing down and during the big move, she stayed in her kennel for 7 hours. It seemed like her hips had fused with arthritis (as she could only hop around my in laws house.) Ed brought her to his parent's vet, who was unwilling to give arthritis medication until she had taken blood. The results showed a heart problem and a high thyroid level. The medication gave Checkers a miracle recovery, but she HATED it. The cream needs to be placed in her ears. Most of our first month here - she stayed under our bed. She became very good at hiding and alluding us. After a month, the vet here retested her and her level was too low...so we stopped and our kitty slowly began to re trust us. We need to retest this week.....and she is slowing down, unable to jump onto the bed etc....yet is still grooming and is so much happier. My dilemma....do I stay ahead of health problems and keep her going......and hating me or let her age with dignity. The hospice nurse in me knows what to do. The Mom in me couldn't bear not treating her if I knew her levels were high again. So I'm thinking to just not retest. That doesn't seem very responsible. Neither option is good. Ed says it's my decision.....and it is. I need to call this week to retest. Decisions, Decisions. My camera gives her eyes...red eye.....doesn't due her justice. This picture shows both of my girls who love "kitty tv". Checks is on the left. Skittles is almost as big but is a diluted calico.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

i'm so sorry to hear this. i know this will be a hard decision because she is so dear and special to you. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.