Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Now I have a massive headache....but SHHHHH, don't tell


OH MY!!!!

My goal today was to complete the hunt for short term insurance for our family as my insurance ceases on my last day of work. YUCK!!! We were approved some weeks ago for an online insurance company, that desperately wanted me to sign ---But, as an admission nurse.....I know all to well what a poor insurance plan gets you...not too far.

So, I start with some tried and true Iowa plans. After a couple of phone calls to Ed and a big leap of faith.....a 15 minute application....turns into over an hour!! I hate lying, so always try to always be forthcoming. But even as a nurse....is constipation a bowel disorder? Not in my book....as ALL of my patients suffer from this (and a child or 2 of mine). But, I figure whatever I have ever read on the doctors billing form.....every insurance company knows about it anyway. So my application has "mild" this and "mild" that all over it. I know people who would say I was crazy (maybe I am). But I guess I'd rather by denied and go with a e insurance plan then leave something out and be "caught" in an omission. I even put down my doctor's recommendation to "move away from this city by the big river" ASAP and my asthma and allergies should go away. LOL! Now I see what the average "John Doe" does to get insurance (if the hospital they work for doesn't make getting insurance so easy.) Now is the waiting game, but the homework part is hopefully over. WHEW!!!

1 comment:

Joelle said...

Sing it, sista! Health insurance apps will give you an ulcer, and then deny you because of your "pre-existing condition" that they caused! Nearly-always-healthy, marathon-running Erik was denied coverage when we applied for insurance several years ago because of some a slight abnormality in his WBC count. The Navy docs found it in his early Navy days, and it was watched every year as they ran their usual battery of tests. No one would ever know that it existed if the Navy didn't run a huge battery of tests on everyone every year. So we put Erik on the CHP Student plan and the rest of us on the third party plan, and they finally accepted Erik after a VA doctor wrote a letter to them saying in short, "you morons, this is a healthy man." Now, we are fortunate to be able to stay on the military health care plan since Erik was called up and continues in the reserves, and they can't deny any of us coverage. I'm sorry that you're dealing with the stupidity of the health care system.