Thursday, February 26, 2009

The 6 best words I've heard....


"She will live a while longer."
I have been worried about my first "baby", Checkers for a long time. Last summer we made a "hospice decision" of not tormenting her to treat a thyroid condition. She has lost another pound and sleeps lots more and needs help to get up to the bed etc... The past month she has been throwing up more and in preparation for the family staying away for a few days with my upcoming surgery... we need to find helpers to watch the cats. I do not wish our neighbors and friends to have to clean up after such a mess.... nor did I want Checkers to become really ill and die and leave such decisions up to these wonderful people to agreed to help. So to a different vet we went, and he said he was surprised to see how well she looked for almost 16. She has had open access to Cat nip..... our desperate desire for her to be happy in her last days. But he said these wonderful words. "If we can stop the stomach upset.... "She will live a while longer." I could have kissed him!!! I was so happy. He gave her a new injection of a med to control the brain nausea center and she will get a 1/3 of a Pepcid tablet everyday. He really thinks she will be better, and she certainly seams more herself tonight! Our family is so hopeful! Oh how our pets become such a part of our family!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that sweet Checkers is feeling better...she has such a special place in your heart and family. Kate :)

mom2jjk said...

I am glad she is ok. So I was a little confused. Was the catnip causing the tummy upset? Should I let our kitty have catnip?