Monday, November 10, 2008

For the love of books

Conferences last week went great. Luke does not have homework, except for very rare occasions when the class does not accomplish Mrs. J's high classwork expectations. Luke's reading score is 133 (I have no clue how they come to that number....but he is suppose to be at 125 by the end of 4th grade....so we are happy with it). The problem is HE HATES TO READ!! How did this happen? I bought garage sale books by the dozens, family and friends gifted him the most beautiful books that we faithfully read every night. Ed and I love to read. I find it so calming and must read a little everyday, even if just a magazine at bed. Leah LOVES to have us read. Last week, I asked the school librarian if the love of reading was somewhat genetic related .....you know NATURE versus Nurture. She said she didn't know as most kids who were read to as babes love to read.

Well, Luke now has 'homework' of reading for enjoyment for 20 minutes every night and 10 minutes of spelling review. (Ed and I are both poor spellers, despite our love of books.) Any way..... you'd think we were torturing the poor child. He chooses the book. I or Dad reads along side of him. Tonight, I am really into "The Joy Luck Club" and loving the quiet of the living room, when the timer rings and I am truly expecting him to finish the chapter.....page....paragraph....line.... Nope he is off the couch and running down the stairs, yelling " Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" Is it wishful thinking that he'll ever LOVE reading....or even like it?

3 comments:

Melissa said...

We have the opposite problem at our house. There are so many times that I think Jaco is snoozin and when I go check on him he is still reading at 10:30. Even at that late hour he will argue with me about turning off the lights! Gets it from me I guess. La-La is just learning to read and I see her being more like Luke. She has never enjoyed books like Jaco. We will see what happens with her in the future!

Shelley said...

Hopefully it's just a phase. Hang in there ang keep giving him things to read about stuff he's interested in. For some reason Dory from Nemo comes to mind and I'm hearing...Reading,reading, just keep reading (instead of swimming). :)

Anonymous said...

Oh I hear you. I'm a teacher with a reading endorsement, and Owen hates reading too. I think it's okay, nothing to get too worried about. My brother hates reading too, and he always did WAY better than me on standardized tests and all. And he was a good student in college, even with all that reading.
Lukie will be fine. He's such a smart kid. Eventually he'll find what makes him "tick" and then he'll read read read! For example, Eric doesn't really read books, he reads forums/message boards online. I love books, ethan loves video games which actually motivated him to learn to read. Owen? He doesn't like it at all, even with me trying all my tricks to motivate and encourage him. He'd rather do 10 pages of math problems than read a chapter in a book.

Wow, sorry about the really long comment!!